Friday, February 3, 2012

Suck it up! Rub some dirt in it!

Song For This Post: "Bulletproof" ~ La Roux

I get that I'm a woman and that means I have all these hormones and emotions and stuff. It's like we all have this "crazy soup" in our brains that, sometimes, makes us overreact just a little.

Everyone who knows me well knows that, while I'm a nice girl, I'm not terribly empathetic. In fact, emoting publicly is sort of terrifying for me.  Most people enjoy hugs and displays of emotion. It makes them feel connected to the other person. It makes me feel uncomfortable...or, you know, like I'm being stabbed.

So it was a little surprising to me this morning when a firetruck flew past my bus stop and I started bawling like a small, disturbed child.


So not ideal.

I don't know what got in to me. I was just so moved in that moment that there are people in the world who hurry to help others that right there, outside the Starbucks, in front of more than a dozen strangers, I burst into waterworks that could have competed with Clare Danes' incredible cry-on-cue acting abilities....except without the snot.

Sometimes being a girl really sucks.

1 comment:

  1. stacey hellikerFebruary 03, 2012

    Military personnel have that same effect on me. The Veteran's day parade has me in tears every year.

    ReplyDelete