Thursday, June 28, 2012

OBAMAcare: WTH does it mean anyway?!?

Song for this post: "My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down" ~ The Ramones


Okay. So the new universal healthcare bill passed. Laws can be pretty confusing so I'm sure that, like me, you might be having a little trouble wrapping your head around the whole thing.


Fortunately, Reddit blogger Captain Pixy Stick broke it down for us like we're five. Thanks, Mister!


Bob: Hi, insurance company. I'd like to buy some health insurance.

Insurance company: No. You had cancer when you were 3 years old, and the cancer could come back. We're not selling you health insurance.

Bob: It's not my fault I got cancer when I was three! Besides, that was years ago!

Insurance company: If we sell insurance to you, we'll probably lose money, and we're not doing it.

Bob: But I need insurance more than anyone! My cancer might come back!

Insurance company: We don't care. We're not selling you insurance.

Obama: Hey, that's totally not fair. Bob is right, he does need insurance! Sell Bob some insurance.

Insurance company: If we have to, I guess.

Mary: This is cool. Obama said the insurance company has to sell insurance to anyone who needs it.

Sam: Hey, I have an idea. I'm going to stop paying for health insurance. If I get sick, I can always go buy some insurance then. The insurance company won't be able to say no, because Obama's told them they have to sell it to anyone who needs it!

Dave: That's a great idea! I'm not paying for health insurance either, at least not until I get sick.

Insurance company: Hey! If everyone stops paying for insurance, we'll go bankrupt!

Obama: Oh come on Sam and Dave, that's not fair either.

Dave: I don't care. It saves me money.

Obama: Oh for god's sake. Sam, Dave, you have to keep paying for health insurance, and not wait until you're sick. You too, Mary and Bob.

Mary: But I'm broke! I can't buy insurance! I just don't have any money.

Obama: Mary, show me your piggy bank. Oh, wow, you really are broke. Ok, tell you what. You still have to buy insurance, but I'll help you pay 95% of the cost.

Mary: Thank you.

Obama: I need an aspirin.


Insurance company: We're not paying for that aspirin.

And there you go!




Click to enlarge

If you have questions, leave them below and I'll take them to one of my very best friends...who just happens to work for the health committee here in the Washington State Legislature.

She's super smart.

Lastly, here's some really entertaining responses about Obamacare. My friend Erin's response: "This is a subset of the population who votes. Frighteningly entertaining!!!"



2 comments:

  1. Can anyone explain to me if this will affect company-paid health insurance? Premiums? Holly...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh also, that whole "tax as a penalty" thing. So confused.

    ReplyDelete