Thursday, January 12, 2012

Best. Love song. Ever.

Song for this post: "Rosa Morena" ~ Kurt Elling

Anyone who knows me well can tell you I'm pathologically obsessed with Kurt Elling. Have been since I was 15.  I've seen him multiple times in concert and regularly check his website to see when he's coming back to the NW. I've sung a number of his songs in various jazz groups. I know his entire catalog by heart.


There are just few things in life that make you feel all fuzzy and soupy and full of love and romance.  And his music is one of them...particularly when he sings in Portuguese in the song Rosa Morena.

I used to sing this in the jazz combo I was a part of in my hometown.  I love singing jazz in other languages.  Rosa Morena and Nina Simone's version of Ne Me Quitte Pas are probably my two favorites. But here's the former, because you need to know about it. This song WILL be played at my wedding...assuming one ever happens.

(I need a man to sweep me off my feet and dance with me right now. Where are my coworkers???)


Rosa, Morena!
Onde vais Morena Rosa?
Com essa rosa no cabelo
E esse andar de moça prosa
Morena, Morena Rosa...

Oh! Rosa, Morena!
Onde vais Morena Rosa?
Com essa rosa no cabelo
E esse andar de moça prosa
Morena, Morena Rosa...

Rosa Morena
O samba está esperando
Esperando prá te ver
Deixa de lado
Esta coisa de dengosa
Anda Rosa, vem me ver...

Deixa da lado esta pose
Vem pro samba, vem sambar
Que o pessoal tá cansado
De esperar
Ô Rosa!
Que o pessoal tá cansado
De esperar
Morena Rosa!
Que o pessoal tá cansado
De esperar
Viu Rosa!
Que o pessoal tá cansado
De esperar



No comments:

Post a Comment