Friday, April 20, 2012

"Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine."

Song for this post: "Poison & Wine" ~ The Civil Wars

I don't normally post silly, girly, lovey-dovey things but I'm wholly obsessed with this song and just really want to share it. I know. Crazy. Especially coming from a girl who's been told on multiple occasions that she's her own island. In fact, my sisters and I joke about how you shouldn't hurt my feeling...because I only have one.

Firstly, I ADORE the Civil Wars. I was raised in a very country family and have a great appreciation for it.  I love me some southern music. For rlz.


This band is outstanding and this song is absolutely incredible.  From a literary point of view it's simple, deprecating and poignant. It's like you're singing in an effort to convince yourself you aren't effected but then you sing because you know you are. You know you love and you can't help it.  The internal battle going on in the lyrics is outstanding. It's like every line of the lyrics in the first verse is something they're trying to convince themselves of but it's wholly untrue. They wouldn't end the song the way they do if that wasn't the case. It represents all of those moments in relationships when you're fighting to fight and you don't see how much you love someone until the fight is over.

When she says "I know everything you don't want me to" I get chills. Love is when someone knows the core of you...whether you want them to or not, and they accept you for it.



You only know what I want you to
I know everything you don't want me to
Oh your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
Oh you think your dreams are the same as mine
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
I always will

I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
The less I give the more I get back
Oh your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
I don't have a choice but I still choose you
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
I always will
I always will
I always will
I always will
I always will 

No comments:

Post a Comment