Friday, March 30, 2012

"But I can't read!"

Song for this post: "Never Going Back Again" ~ Fleetwood Mac

Awwww. Work. Liquor. Dick jokes. It all makes me feel so warm and fuzzy.

Today marked our first day back at our "Friday Staff Meeting" since before all of that hellish (and sometimes fun) business travel. Believe me, we needed to reconvene.


We all know I work with a pretty kick ass group of guys. But I don't think I've talked much about my boss and how much shit is on his plate. He used to just be my coworker...my favorite coworker. Then he got promoted. Now he manages all of us and, as time progresses, an ever increasing shit storm continues to mount itself on his desk. Is he as carefree as he used to be? No. Is that okay? Yes. I just wish I could do more to help but, honestly, I don't know the first thing about managing a sales staff. I'm marketing. That's my niche.

So, the guy who introduced me to Friday lunch drinking, who helped me keep my sanity in a [sometimes] very difficult atmosphere, who sang Rapper's Delight at a bar in Houston and got a standing ovation, now manages a team of us.  And, as time has gone by, he's gotten so busy that the time all of us spend recapping at the end of a week becomes more and more sporadic. It was refreshing today for us to be back from travel and have all of us at the Alibi Room for our Friday ritual. It brought things back to center.

It felt like things were right where they should be.


We talked about Jeff's new house on the island (I convert EVERYONE) and how he hates REI and wants a retro, 1950s raincoat. We talked about how another one of us loves Fleetwood Mac a little too much how we'll probably find him having a pillow fight and wearing bunny slippers years down the road. We talked about Lindsey, our favorite bartender, who has a hangover every time we see her, hates stupid people with the fire of a thousand suns, and will never get over people who carry the 1. I bought the boys a round of shots (that I never ended up getting charged for...no surprise) and, as always, I was the first to leave. It was just like it always is. And that's good.

I talk a lot about how awesome my job is. And it is. But, as with all things in life, really great things come with really big downsides and my job is no different. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It's an incredibly rewarding position with a lot of room for growth and a shitton of freedom. But it's constantly stressful, constantly frustrating, and we all work our asses off. I'm grateful that we have the freedom in our office environment to hang out the way we do. So today, to me, was important. After a lot of travel and a lot of stress, we got to come back to center and do what we always do: laugh, drink, talk each other up (and down...for jokes) and reset.

...and we ALL carried the 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment