Monday, September 24, 2012

When did anorexic become dazzling?

Song for this post: "Pocketbook" ~ Jennifer Hudson feat. Ludacris

This morning I caught up on the 64th Annual Emmy Awards. It was a good show and, for all the things I could talk about (the opening sequence, Tracy Morgan, Claire Danes...) there's really only one thing that sticks out in my mind as topic-worthy:

What the F#%$ happened to Kerry Washington?!?  All of the news coverage said she "dazzled." They said she was "glamorous," that she "shined" in gold.

Um. When did third-world-country-thin become glamorous?

This is not glamorous:

It's scary.

...and it sets a dangerous precedence about how women should look.

Let's face it. She's loaded and very easily has the resources at her fingertips for healthy meals, time management, childcare, weight training and just about anything else you can think of that would offer the leisurely lifestyle that leaves little excuse to be under-eating.

Don't get me wrong. Some women are naturally very thin. And that's great. I'm not saying you're not a "real woman" if you're thin. I'm just saying that THIS woman has lost a drastic amount of weight when she's been quite muscular her whole life. To say that being that unnaturally thin is "dazzling" is concerning.

Here's what she looked like for many many years:


You can see her in the Emmy's at the 96:36 mark at this link.

1 comment:

  1. She doesn't look anorexic to me, but then again, there is an 85% chance that I have been brainwashed by the overly liberal use of photoshop in the media.

    ReplyDelete